Monday, November 5, 2012

Ulthwe` Eldar and 6th Edition.

As I complete more and more of my Bretonnian army in preparation for next year's Fantasy OFCC, I find myself needing to also sate that desperate need to play my Eldar once again.  Since Warhammer 40k 6th edition has come out, I have only had the opportunity to really play 2 games and so my experience with the new meta has been limited. 

Now that is not to say that I have not been observing and discussing the changes with friends of mine who have been playing.  I just haven't been able to play test the themes and ideas that have been bouncing around in my head.  In 5th edition 40k, the game was rather rote.  Cast Fortune then Turbo-boost flat out with 3-4 skimmers full of warlocks, storm guardians and farseers while the rest of my army drops templates on you.  Next turn - cast fortune, cast doom, assault X unit with 3-4 units and move on to the next until game was over.  Now that 6th edition has come and the game has drastically changed from what many were used to, I find myself in that unfortunate position of having three very distinct issues that are very difficult to overcome. 
1.  I have an older and outdated codex that is having a bit of difficultly maintaining viability.
2.  I have to really change the army composition I spent years honing to perfection and develop a new army list to play in casual/tournament games.
3.  I have to learn to play with the new meta and how the new rules affect the way I am used to having my armies operate. 

Now this isn't a new situation, when 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy came out I was able to easily shift how I played my Wood Elves and was rather successful at it.  For some reason and I don't know why, I am unable to find a list that I like in 6th edition that has all the elements I enjoyed in the previous edition.  I think some of this resistance stems from the fact that I have progressed in my skill as a hobbyist and painter and when I pull out my Eldar, I can readily see the hobby sins I committed long ago.  This makes me want to go out and purchase new models and repaint the army to the new standard of what I find acceptable to field that I have painted.  Also, with all the Eldar rumors that were circulating about new units and a codex, it makes me hesitant to invest any money in the army when in a few short months it could all drastically change.

So I have vowed to try to make a 2000 point list that encompasses the fluff and theme of the Ulthwe` Eldar but still is able to handle most of the armies that I would face at our local gaming club.  My main desire is to get a highly effective list down by the 40k OFCC next year and take part in that event as well.  So with that said here is my first attempt at a 6th edition list:

2000 Pts - Company of the Damned - Ulthwe` Eldar Roster


HQ
Farseer w/ Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Fortune, and Doom on a Jetbike
5 Warlocks w/ Enhance, Embolden, and Destructor on Jetbikes
Troops
5 Pathfinders
10 Storm Guardians w/ 2 Fusion Guns and a Warlock with Enhance mounted in a Wave Serpent with Twin-linked Shuriken Cannons
15 Guardians and a Warlock with Enhance and a Shuriken Cannon
15 Guardians and a Warlock with Enhance and a Shuriken Cannon
3 Guardian Jetbikes and a Warlock with Enhance and a Shuriken Cannon
3 Guardian Jetbikes and a Warlock with Enhance and a Shuriken Cannon

Fast Attack
3 Wasp Assault Walkers w/ Scatter Lasers and Shuriken Cannons

Heavy Support
Warp Hunter Grav Tank
Warp Hunter Grav Tank
Firestorm Grav Tank

Total: 2000 pts.

We'll see how this army does moving forward.  I should hopefully do well since it has a solid HQ, powerful Heavy options and six Troop selections to hold objectives.  My fondest and dearest hope is that in the future codex that the prices on some of the units and vehicles come down and/or there are better Skyfire support options.  It is painful to read the newer codices and see how far behind the power curve Eldar have fallen with their outdated rules.  Now I'm sure if I'm able to playtest this list at least a dozen times I'll either love it or find the spots where I am definitely weak.  I do know that I wish I could include more Star Cannons into the list but that would require shrinking my 2 Guardian squads by 5 models each.

The other option is to bide my time and continue to collect/build the Dark Eldar but I haven't nailed down exactly what I want to do with The Crimson Sigil as of yet. 

Anyway, I'll hopefully have some more hobby WIP's next post or perhaps the first 50 pt Warmachine list I've been working on for the Retribution of Scyrah.

We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment