Friday, December 9, 2011

From the Workbench - Ghorgons and Eagle Riders WIP

This week's From the Workbench is going to display the two assembled and converted Wood Elf Nobles/Spellweavers on Great Eagles and a comparison of a 3rd party Ghorgon and the new Games Workshop multi-kit.

The first few images are of what will be used as a Wood Elf Noble on a Great Eagle.  This has been a fairly effective model on the battlefield and I am very pleased I decided to include it in my lists.  I purchased another Eagle from Coolminiornot.com and the Games Workshop Wood Elf Noble with Bow.  I cut away/filed off the tree trunk the Wood Elf leans on then pinned him to the saddle of the eagle.

Next up I assembled and painted the Elf Sorceress on a Giant Owl model from Coolminiornot.com.  I have been using her as my Spellweaver on an Eagle in my 3k games but I think I may shift to putting my Spellweaver back in the unit of Eternal Guard and use this model as another Noble with an Always Strikes First "staff".  I've has a lot more success using Eagles and Heroes rather than the lone Spellweaver on her owl.
Here she is painted with and without the flash and also with her buddy the unpainted Noble on an Eagle.



Lastly we come to my dilemma.  I wanted to use a Ghorgon in my list so badly but didn't want to kitbash one.  After months of searching online I found a 3rd party sculpt that I liked and that also looked like the image in the Beastman army book.  Then on Dec. 3rd, Games Workshop releases the new Ghorgon/Cygor plastic kits and I of course pick up 2 because it's plastic crack and I'm an addict.

Now I've got a problem...which one do I use?  Do I use the new GW Ghorgon or do I continue to use my $90 resin Ghorgon?  Do I use one of them as unit filler or attempt to figure out how to use 2 in a 2800 point list?  

I really, really like the new Games Workshop plastic monster so this sucks!  Either way, here are some images of both of them so that folks can see the size and quality comparison.


Lastly, the plastic kit also included a very large menhir stone that I can use in either my Wood Elf army as a nice unit filler or as a Herdstone for my Beastmen army. 

Thanks and feel free to leave comments and/or recommendations on which model to use.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey Sylvos,

    Great looking models all round. That Giant Owl is a fantastic model...

    Nice conversion work for the Great Eagle as well. I've got one of the HE Griffons lying around for this very purpose, but haven't plucked up the courage to start working on it yet - any tips and tricks to consider when building it?

    As for the Ghorgons, I personally prefer the 3rd party one precisely because it fits perfectly with the artwork in the Beastman book. Of course, if you want to use both the easiest way to do that is to fit two into your list! Or you can alternate which model you use so that they both get a fair share of the table time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when I started to do the conversion I was going back and forth about if I should cut the tree stump from under the Wood Elf or not. My friends finally got tired of me going back and forth and all but made me just clip it and go from there. My only advice is if you are taking away from a model go slowly and file often. Dry fitting is also your best bet as well.

    I may just put the 3rd party Ghorgon as a unit filler in a Bestigor unit or a Gor unit. We'll see. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    I've just recently discovered this blog and i give all good credit to creator, it's amazing!
    I've been scouting for a replacement to some of the borring GW Great Eagles and i found your Owl, what size is the ground platform its standing on? and can it be changed if i got some platforms in spare?
    I'm collecting High Elves and have been wondering about start up either Wood Elves or Tomb Kings but this blog really tip the board to Wood Elves favor, any advise ? Got no models for WE and would like a nice starting guide for what to buy ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Thomas,

      The base that the Owl fits onto is a 50mm base. The actual platform is molded to the model and would be difficult to successfully detach. (By platform I mean the pillar not the base).

      The new GW plastic eagles are also pretty awesome. I have both the plastic kit and the finecast character model in case War Hawk Riders don't totally suck in the new book. =)

      Delete