Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wild Riders WIP Update

Thought I'd update my blog with the progress on my super-expensive (in $ that is) unit of Wild Riders.  These Wild Riders use the Wild Rider torsos from the GW kit and the Reindeer/Elk mounts from the PP Raptor sets.
I decided to do a few different things this go around for painting these guys.
I first wanted a metallic looking green armor but was not really sure how to do it.  So I experimented and used a shining gold base then washed it heavily with Thrakia Green.  I was pleased with how it looked and I think when I do the bottom halves of the models the green wash will look a lot better since there is more surface area to cover rather than the small arm vambraces of the Wild Riders.  While this is no where near Golden Daemon level I am very pleased with my painting on these guys and I came to a revelation the other day while painting.  My models look great, I needed to get the idea that I'm not going to have the "Pro-painted" look to them unless I heavily invest in some serious magnifying materials and the .0000001 brushes.  Also, I kinda get bored after doing 3-4 thinned layers on multiple models.  Anyway, the more I paint the better it gets and I really like how my Wood elf army is looking. 
Here are the pics of the WIP for the Wild Riders:

Here is the front view of the six Wild Riders.  I don't know if you can see the green wash on their gold vambraces very well but oh well. 











Here is the back view.  I was able to dry-brush Goblin green over Dark Angels green to get the highilghts on all that damn foliage they wear.  Sadly, after I did all that I realized that bronzed leaves on the weapons would have looked better but it's too late now!







Here are some hopefully better pictures of the gold/green armor on their forearms.  I also had a little fun freehand painting the runes on the standard bearer's standard.  Took me forever to figure out what the Wild Rider and Kurnous symbols were since the Wood Elf Army book doesn't say.






I also washed the mithril silver painted weapons with Asurman blue and I have to say I'm rather pleased with the results.











In other news - I picked up 2 of the new plastic kits for the Eldar Support Weapon Batteries today and they are NEAT!
Here is the sprue - expect them to be assembled and ready to go by Wednesday (painted probably by July)

Also, I finally got my Battle Standard Bearers ready to be primed and based.  We'll just call this setting the standard for the rest of the armies... ho ho ho.
I don't think I'll actually be using the Wood Elf Battle Standard Bearer unless 8th edition makes it to where I really need to include one.  If so then I will be doing a little swapping around of my Lords/Heroes which sadly will really affect the effectiveness of some units.
The Beastman Battle Standard Bearer is such an awesome model.  I am so pleased I was able to pick it up.  This guy will definately be the center piece if not one of the main focuses of my Beastman army.