Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Steak Bet - #steakbet

The Steak Bet -  #steakbet

As you may well know, my wife and I are expecting twins on December 18th and I have been very adamant about having my Bretonnian army completed by the end of the year.  Last night while hanging out at our favorite gaming haunt Ancient Wonders there was a challenge issued…
My buddy and cohost of the Deployment Zone podcast, Bryan stated that there was no way I would have 2400 points of Bretonnians painted by the Black Sheep Brawl on January 19th – 20th. 
Being a narcissist that I am, there was no way my ego was going to allow that statement to stand without some sort of bravado or bluster. 
I said “Oh it’ll be done, it will be no problem.  I’ve got this.”
Bryan, always pursuing an angle especially when it’s food motivated, grinned evilly and issued the following decree.
“I bet you … I bet you a steak dinner.  Yes a steak dinner that you won’t have that army completed by the Black Sheep Brawl in January.”
Now the gauntlet had been cast down and I saw the gleam of avarice in Bryan’s eye.  I looked around the room at Darron and Eric both also grinning like cats watching a cornered mouse.  I did a quick inventory of what I have left to paint which was 2 trebuchets, 8 crewmen, 3 pegasus knights, 9 questing knights, 9 grail knights, a prophetess, lord on a hippogryph, 32 peasant bowmen and 25 men-at-arms.  I then mapped out the number of Alabama football games left, baby classes, family events, and gaming engagements not to mention how much time the twins were going to take up once they were born.  Finally, once I had performed all the rational exercises and performed an impromptu project map in my head, I came to the realization that that just wasn’t going to happen.  So, like any other rational human being I said the following:
“Not only will I have the army painted, it will be at the same level as the units that are already done.”
Bryan then grinned and said “I’ll even give you a three color minimum”.
I responded with “Nope!  The same level and they will even be based!”
And so the challenge was issued and answered.
Darron and Eric witnessed the handshake and confirmation of the bet, a Steak bet!
So on November 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm a bet was made between two gamers.  The hero, John Kersey, will have 2400 points of his Bretonnian army completed by the day of the Black Sheep Brawl on January 19, 2012.  Should our hero be successful then our challenger Bryan shall owe unto him a dinner of delicious steak at the Outback Steakhouse.  However should the fates rally against our hero and darkness falls across the land and our champion fails to paint his army by the date, then Bryan shall enjoy the steak dinner at the expense of our hero.  It must not happen!
There shall be blog posts giving status updates and twitter feeds using the #steakbet hashtag so that we may track the progress of the steak bet.  A challenge has been issued!  Will our hero be able to overcome the challenges being set before him or shall he owe someone a steak.  My twitter handle is @Sylvos_FoH and my antagonist Bryan's is @evil_bryan.  Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Man, I sure do like the idea of getting free steak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be glad it wasn't a slap bet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to have some delicious steak to eat while I view my freshly painted army.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol.... are those your first childrens?

    I have to say, when we got our first, i had all the time in the world to do everything i wanted.

    when we got our second, time as alot harder to find, and projet were left undone for awhile.

    when we got our third, free time? what's that?

    Can't wait to see the result (or lack of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two girls will be our first and last kids. =)

      Delete
  5. While that does sound like quite the challenge.... I believe you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see those wood elves at the Brawl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am rooting for you Sylvos, you can't be forking out steak dinners to everyone when there are diapers to buy!

    ReplyDelete