Friday, January 6, 2012

Beastmen Minotaur and BSB Banners WIP

Here's a super quick WIP update for the Beastmen Minotaurs and Gorebull BSB banners I'll be using.  I decided to mess around with some freehanding and made 3 banners.

I've also included the step by step painting I did of the Dark Elf Sorceress a.k.a. Wood Elf Spellweaver =) I did the other night as well.

I think I may go with the two that are currently using a black background but we'll see.
Here are the WIP's.
If you folks like a particular banner please leave a comment (that may sway my decision on which two to use in the army).






Next up we have the step by step painting of the Spellweaver, I wanted to get done with her quickly and I also wanted to try out a new painting technique that I'm not completely sold on.  Essentially you water down all your paints to almost a wash and then quickly place 10-12 super thin coats and which dry within a few seconds.  It's supposed to create an even coating system that reduces brush strokes but I'm not completely sold.  Some paints get very, very transparent almost when you water them down too much.

Anyway, enough gabbing:

As you can see she has been primed black and then I used scorched brown  on her areas of bare flesh.

The scorched brown watered down becomes a wash way to fast so you must be very, very careful how much you water it down if you are going to use this technique.  I do not forsee repeating the use of it in the future but I will attempt to paint a few more models with it just in case I get better with it.










I used Elf flesh next to cover the areas of flesh.
This took almost 20 layers/coats to get to the point where it wasn't a super light brown with splotches of the yellowish pink.














Here I did two things, I painted her eyes with Icy blue, I used Dwarf Bronze on the metal items she was wearing (headband,belt, staff head, bra) then I washed the flesh with Ogryn flesh to get that ruddy suntanned skin I like to use on all my elf models.













Here I forgot to take pictures and so I combined three stages into one.
1. I painted her dress? Goblin Green.
2. I painted her leggings/belt/staff with Snakebite Leather and washed it with Devlin Mud.
3. I painted her hair Golden Yellow, highlighted the hair strands with a very thin layer of Mithril Silver then I washed the hair with Gryphonne Sepia and then drybrushed the Golden Yellow on top of that once it dried.  Her hair now shimmers in the light.

I then painted/flocked and magnetized her base.







Speaking of bases and for that matter Movement Trays....

Here are the trays I got from Base X of War that I placed a metal sheet into and then primed black and painted.  They are marvelous and I can't decide if I want to use the Skull movement trays for the Beastmen yet or not.  We shall see!








Lastly, here is the picture of my next project after my Beastmen are done...
sheesh =(  All the trouble we go to in order to play games in our garage!


Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Sylvos! First of all I'd like to thank you for your great blog. It inspired me to start playing wood elves (which a year ago was totaly unforseen). I find the content you produce to be of top quality. I also really like the podcast you're doing, I find it entertaining and enlightening. :)

    I'd just like to comment on the Base-X-War Skull-bases you are thinking about using. I bought 20 of these (25x25 mm) a couple of months ago (before I started reading your blog and was planning on a WoC army... No WoC for me now, it's all Wood Elves, hehe). I find the quality to be not that great, some of the skulls are pretty badly sculpted, in my opinion, and it's like they stuck the skulls and rocks on top of an ordinary GW base and then made the mould. There is a gap between the "custom" base-material (the skulls and rocks etc.) and the "basic" base. Sorry for not being able to explain it better, I'm Swedish. All I wanted to say with this was don't order all of the bases at once, buy a test-batch, see what you think of the quality. I find the Micro Art Studio bases to be of a much greater quality. I use their Forest-bases for my wood elves.

    Thanks again for all the effort you're putting into this blog, and know that it is really appreciated.

    //Lucidor

    P.S. If you want to me to mail you pictures of the Skull bases, send a mail to sebastiancarlsson@hotmail.com and I'll reply with some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, thanks Lucidor! I appreciate your feedback and comments! You explained yourself very well, there is no need to apologize. Getting different perspectives on products that I am considering or looking at is very important. I had been considering obtaining enough skull bases to do a small unit so I'm glad you said something. I may hold off on doing that for a bit and just stick to the movement trays as I use the magnetic bases for most of my armies. That said however I would like to see the skull bases you are talking about from Base X of War. Overall, I'm pleased with their trays though.

    I had been considering getting some of the forest bases from Micro Art Studios out of Poland and if I ever plan to rebase my army (hell that could be next month who knows these days with my capricious nature!) I may look into their forest bases as an option.

    Thanks again for the comments! You should post some of your Wood Elf army pictures sometime! I'm always interested in seeing what other folks choose for their army since the metagame for wargaming is so different from region to region.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you DuendE! Followed! Nice blog and painting btw.

    ReplyDelete