Sunday, December 2, 2012

Table War - Product Review.


A few weeks back I was going to a friend's house to get a game of Warhammer Fantasy and  it started to rain down pretty heavily.  Now being an Oregon resident this shouldn't come as too much of a surprise when it happens but I did not expect my army to get as wet as it did.  I thought to myself, there has to be a better solution than just using a tray to transport your models to and fro from place to place.  That was when I happened to be reading through my blogroll and clicked on The Magnificent Bastards blog (the blog for the Pointhammered podcast) and read up on their TableWar experience.  

I own a ridiculous amount of Battlefoam but I grew rather tired of constantly having to lug around the Battlefoam 1520 and then spend 20-30 minutes pulling models out of foam that does and does catch the random pointy bit and causes something to break.  This seemed to be an artificial and unnecessary time sink when I am interested in playing a game because keep in mind I also have to spend 20-30 minutes putting those models away as well.  

So I decided that I wanted an army case that allowed me to not only capitalize on the fact that all my armies and movement trays are magnetized, but also allow me to use trays and deploy my army rather easily and quickly.  The TableWar case seemed to fit the bill all the way around.  So I ordered it online at TableWar and a few weeks later it arrived.



I then with great excitement tore into the box and removed it's contents.  The Full Tower  TableWar Case I ordered came with 4 display trays and a drawer that fit within the carrying case's 20"w x 10"d x 19"h dimensions.


Now being the guy that I am, prior to ordering this awesome army case I also took measurements and made sure that the army would fit within it's dimensions.  I went to Shogun Miniatures and placed an order for their steel trays to fit the dimensions of the display trays of the TableWar case (yes, I totally stole the idea from the Magnificent Bastards blog - it was a brilliant idea and it brings business to a company that I think is awesome like Shogun Miniatures).  For a reasonable amount of money I was able to get these heavy gauge steel trays to slide into the TableWar display trays.

The metal trays then slide right into the Display Trays like so:


The trays are also very well made, they have a depressed slot inside each tray that helps slide into the side slats and keep them in place.  This shows a very high quality of product and a great attention to detail for this company.

Once the trays were all set up and the appropriate measurements were made to ensure that I had enough space between racks, I placed 4,000 points of Wood Elves into my shiny new TableWar case and I was exceptionally pleased with the results.  Here, take a look for yourself.




Also, if I so choose I may instead transport 3,000 points of Beastmen.  I probably could fit more than 3,000 points of Beastmen if I changed how I modeled my army but I don't anticipate that happening any time soon so here is a shot of the metal trays that I would place into the TableWar case.

In closing, I fully recommend this product to anyone that plays any type of Wargame.  I will be marking off and then basing and flocking these metal sheets when I obtain more display trays.  The end result is to be able to pull the trays out and have a display setting already put in place.  

I give this TableWar Full Tower Case two thumbs up!



7 comments:

  1. That is seriously impressive looking. It also looks really easy to use, which is great. I hear ya about foam being a time sink.

    Your Revenant titan looks pretty good too, I hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the Revenant Titan from another Ordo Fanaticus member for a really good deal. I may get another one in the future and paint it up Ulthwe` style.
      The TableWar is such an awesome case, I wish I had discovered this over a year ago or so when it first came out.

      Delete
  2. my god, that looks simply amazing.

    Which are the sizes of the steel bases that you need to get, and could you get up some more pics on how do you assemble de steel base to the display base?

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eyeing these for some time thanks to the review on Magnificent Bastards, and your review pretty much seals the deal.

    Why doesn't Table War provide steel inserts themselves? How do they expect you to use the case?

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh.. What John... No cup holders? You know they do provide cup holders. My recommendation on the trays is not to flock the tray. But to attach a 1/4" foam core board to the metal tray, and cut out the unit movement tray shapes from the foam core. Then lastly drill a hole big enough for your finger in the middle of the metal tray to help you push the movement tray up from underneath. This allows you to swap out display sections as you need and not be forced to have specific display trays for each army composition. And No I don't secure my metal tray to the display tray. The weight of the models will easily keep it in place.
    lowb - best place to get dimensions is go to tablewar.com and look up the diorama tray insert and order your sheet metal to that size. I believe I went with 16 gauge steel on my trays and they have held up for two years.
    Paul - Table war will provide 1/3 width trays with tin and cut outs for common 40k shapes as one of the owners, Doug Johnson, has been a top ranked ork player for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic, and I love the steel insert idea. I've really been considering one of the cases myself, so I was hoping you could answer a big of a weird question.

    How tall is that tallest Eagle on the bottom level? I'm hoping to fit some rather large Warmachine models in this thing, and I'm curious how much space it'll take up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jbarket,

      The Eagles I have for my Wood Elves are 7" tall. The gargantuans and colossals should fit just fine in there.

      Delete