Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Wild Hunt, Warherd of the Drakwald - 2000 point Beastman Army List. v.1.0



The Wild Hunt, Warherd of the Drakwald  - 2000 point Beastman Army List v.1.0

After much deliberation and thought, I have decided to run with a list that I felt was somewhat balanced and encompasses what I want to field in a 2000 point list with Beastmen.  Sadly, I did not have room for things such as Chaos Hounds, Tuskgor Chariots or 100 Gors but that's alright.  I wanted to accomplish three objectives when constructing this list and I have no doubt that it will be more fun to play than it is effective.

1. Use the models I enjoyed out of the army -  I love the limited edition Battle Standard Bearer, the Doombull, the Morghur model (based on a 25mm and being used as a Bray-shaman), the Gors and the Bestigor models.

2. Have a reasonably balanced army that could perform in every phase that also utilizes the Beastman army features such as Ambush.

3. Fit the theme of a roving warherd that has been terrorizing the Drakwald Forest and has set it's sights on Athel Loren, home of their hated rivals the Wood Elves.  The minotaur general has now taken the reins of the army after a catastrophic set back when the Great Hunt of Athel Loren ambushed the previous Beastlord's warherd and scattered the beasts to the far corners of the forest.  (The former Beastlord is now crucified on one of the Wood elf standards in my army)

The army is not big unfortunately, I had originally hoped that the army would exceed 100 models but due to the fact that I changed my mind during the list creation and added in a Monster that changed.  I expanded the list to 2500 points and suddenly the army grew to over 120 models so I am not overly worried about expansion.  

                                 
Rorg, the Horned King of the Drakwald. (image by Dan Scott)

I present you the 1.0 version of the Warherd of the Drakwald.


2000 Pts - Beastmen Roster

Doombull (1#, 298 pts)
1 Doombull, 298 pts (General; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield; Causes Fear; Frenzy; Stomp)
1 Sword of Swift Slaying
1 Dragonhelm
1 Uncanny Senses

Bray-Shaman (1#, 160 pts)
1 Bray-Shaman, 160 pts (Primal Fury; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
1 Hunting Spear
1 Wildheart
1 0. Wyssan's Wildform
1 1. The Flock of Doom
1 2. Pann's Impenetrable Pelt
1 3. The Amber Spear
1 4. The Curse of Anraheir
1 5. The Savage Beast of Horrors
1 6. Transformation of Kadon

Wargor (1#, 164 pts)
1 Wargor (Battle Standard Bearer), 164 pts (Primal Fury; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Battle Standard Bearer)
1 The Steel-Claws
1 Gnarled Hide

Cygor (1#, 275 pts)
1 Cygor, 275 pts (Causes Terror; Immune to Psychology; Large Target; Magic Resistance (2); Stubborn; Thunder Stomp)

Harpies (5#, 70 pts)
5 Harpies, 70 pts (Flyer; Scouts)

Bestigor Herd (14#, 208 pts)
13 Bestigor Herd, 208 pts (Always Strikes Last; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Gouge-Horn (Always Strikes Last; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour)
1 Banner of Eternal Flame

Minotaurs (5#, 325 pts)
5 Minotaurs, 325 pts (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Stomp)

Gor Herd (24#, 217 pts)
23 Gor Herd, 217 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Extra Attack)
1 Foe-Render (Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Extra Attack)

Gor Herd (24#, 217 pts)
23 Gor Herd, 217 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Extra Attack)
1 Foe-Render (Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon; Extra Attack)

Ungor Raiders (5#, 33 pts)
5 Ungor Raiders, 33 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Skirmishers)

Ungor Raiders (5#, 33 pts)
5 Ungor Raiders, 33 pts (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Skirmishers)

Composition Report:
Points of Lords: 298 (0 - 500)
Points of Heroes: 324 (0 - 500)
Points of Core: 500 (500 - Unlimited)
Points of Special: 603 (0 - 1000)
Points of Rare: 275 (0 - 500)

Total Roster Cost: 2000



Three things you'll immediately notice:
1. Not a lot of models - I am aware of that but I seem to get by with less than 70 Wood elves so =).  Also I'm right at the 500 point mark for Core which I really wanted to be as high as my Special but I had to devote 275 points to Rare for this list.

2. No ward saves - I couldn't justify the point costs on them sadly, I figure 3+ armor save is good enough and if you manage to cut down a character more power to you.
3. Cygor in a 2000 point list - generally you want to avoid using a monster with a 275 point price tag in a 2k list but I wanted to throw it in and see how it works.  I also wanted to augment my shooting phase with something other than 10 ungor raiders and a bray-shaman hurling a hunting spear.

I'm going to really try to capitalize on Ambush and brute force without having to throw a ton of models at my opponent.  I'm hoping that the Minotaurs and Bestigors can form a good hammer and anvil combination while the Gors serve to protect their flanks.  Once again we'll have to see how this works out.

I'm sure this list will change slightly but for now I'm happy with it.  I would have preferred to have more Gors but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.  Should I drop the Cygor then I would also dump the Hunting Spear (that item is still under fierce evaluation at this point and time) and fill that void with more Bestigors and a LOT more Gors.  Either way I'll hopefully be finished assembling this list in a week and be ready to get some Battle Reports flowing! 




1 comment:

  1. That looks like a list with a lot to recommend it.

    I'm a big fan of those Gor blocks - I take it that the plan is to ambush one? Perhaps I could make a suggestion to drop one down to 20 strong? It shouldn't make much difference to their hitting power coming out of ambush, but it gives you an additional option in the Watchtower scenario.

    Are the shields on the Minotaurs to protect them from shooting? I believe that they can't use them when they are frenzied, which they would be automatically if the Doombull joins them.

    Finally, I'd love to know how you get on with the Cygor (if you worry about fitting him into a 2000 point army, try making room for him in 1600 points!) so I'd be very grateful if you shared your experiences.

    ReplyDelete