Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Warhammer 40k Tournament at Ancient Wonders, Jan. 30th

Last Sunday my friendly local gaming store had a 1500 point 40k tournament.  The tournament director Darron allowed special characters and had a swiss style tournament where we played 3 games using Adepticon scenarios.  I brought my standard Eldar Ulthwe 1500 point list (detailed on blog) and had decided to just tone down the competitive factor and play for fun.


1500 Pts - Company of the Damned, Ulthwe` Eldar Army Roster

HQ: Farseer (1#, 155 pts)
1 Farseer, 155 pts  Independent Character; Psyker;  Doom ;  Fortune ; Fleet; Ghosthelm; Rune Armour; Runes of Warding; Runes of Witnessing; Spirit Stones; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)

HQ: Warlock Unit (7#, 305 pts)
1 Warlock Unit, 305 pts
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Enhance ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Embolden ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Destructor ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Destructor ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)
1 Warlock ; Psyker; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)
1 Warlock ; Psyker; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Witchblade)
1 Wave Serpent ; Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Tank, Fast); Energy Field; Star Engines; TL Shuriken Catapults; TL Shuriken Cannons)

Troops: Storm Guardians (12#, 250 pts)
10 Storm Guardians, 250 pts  Fleet; Close Combat Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Flamer x2)
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Enhance ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear)
1 Wave Serpent ; Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Tank, Fast); Energy Field; Star Engines; TL Shuriken Catapults; TL Shuriken Cannons)

Troops: Storm Guardians (12#, 250 pts)
10 Storm Guardians, 250 pts ; Fleet; Close Combat Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Flamer x2)
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Enhance ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear)
1 Wave Serpent ; Unit Type: Vehicle (Skimmer, Tank, Fast); Energy Field; Star Engines; TL Shuriken Catapults; TL Shuriken Cannons)

Heavy Support: Dark Reapers (5#, 217 pts)
4 Dark Reapers, 217 pts ; Reaper Launcher)
1 Dark Reaper Exarch ( Fast Shot ; Missile Launcher)

Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron (3#, 180 pts)
1 War Walker Squadron, 180 pts ( Scouts)
1 War Walker (Scatter Laser; Scatter Laser)
1 War Walker (Scatter Laser; Scatter Laser)
1 War Walker (Scatter Laser; Scatter Laser)

Heavy Support: Support Weapon Battery  (7#, 143 pts)
2 Support Weapon Battery , 143 pts ; (D-cannon)
4 Guardians (Shuriken Catapult x4)
1 Warlock ; Psyker;  Conceal ; Fleet; Rune Armour; Shuriken Pistol; Singing Spear)

Total Roster Cost: 1500

Created with Army Builder® - Try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com


I was able to take one set of photos before my battery died on my camera.  Meh...

Anyway - here is a brief summary of the games.

Round 1 - Ulthwe` Eldar vs. Space Wolves


The scenario was pitched battle deployment and whomever had a Troop selection in the center of the map at the end of the game scored the objective bonus.
Normally I would do a turn by turn battle report but I'll summarize it by saying this:
Victory by turn 5.  I managed to wipe out the entire army scoring the full point value for the mission.  I lost 1 unit of Storm Guardians, 3 warlocks, and had a single Wave Serpent immobilized.
First turn I blitzed forward with all three wave serpents and managed to isolate a third of his army and destroy 3/4ths of his Assault Squad of Skyclaws.
Second turn I had my Warwalkers come in from the left side of the table and destroyed his Dreadnaught, a Rhino, his Assault Squad and a Razorback.
Third turn I managed to kill his Wolf Scouts that had charged my Warwalkers.
Fourth turn my guardians broke from close combat during his turn and I was able to kill the Fenrisian Wolves and Grey Hunters with my D-Cannons and Dark Reapers.
Fifth Turn - Destroyed his remaining Rhino, Long Fangs and his other Grey Hunters unit - wiping out his army.

Round 2 - Ulthwe` Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle


This game was very fun, I played against a buddy of mine Tim.  Tim enjoys rolling dice, regardless if it matters what the result is but he'll throw the bones just to do it.  The scenario was Spearhead deployment with Table corners being the objectives.  This game went 4 turns and was a blast.
Tim brought 2 Exorcists, a seraphim squad, and 5 units of sisters and another unit that my memory escapes me at the moment.
Tim went first after stealing the initiative and immediately wrecked one of my Wave Serpents spilling some rather annoyed Storm Guardians out into the snow.  I managed to fly two remaining wave serpents into the center of the map while my Reapers shaken and stirred one of his Exorcists.
Turn 2 resulted in the destruction of my other Storm Guardian squad's Wave serpent and the unit was pinned by his deep striking seraphim squad and he dealt 2 casualties to my Dark Reapers.  I managed to blow up one of his Rhinos with my Dark reapers, stunned his other Exorcist with my D-Cannons and my Seer Council opened up and destroyed 2 vehicles spilling unhappy sisters everywhere.
Turn 3 - Tim secured his table corner and attempted to mow down my Storm Guardians killing 2.  His remaining Exorcist just prevented my Wave Serpent from shooting.  My Storm Guardians roared and killed his seraphim squad and began their long trek to the other table corner while my other Storm Guardian squad assaulted his sisters by the other Exorcist.  The Seer Council also assaulted his Command squad and were locked in combat.
Turn 4 - Tim manages to kill the warlock in the D-Cannon unit with his Exorcist.  The War Walkers finally arrive and shoot his Exorcist on the left side.  24 shots, 14 hits, 1 penetrating hit....result..can't shoot....awesome.. Dark Reapers kill the rest of his sister's unit and my Wave Serpent flies to contest a table corner while the Seer Council kills his Command squad.

Game ended after this turn due to time being called.  We both controlled and contested a table corner but I got the win due to having 2 more Kill Points.  Great game and my first win against the accursed Sisters of Battle.

Round 3 - Ulthwe` Eldar vs. Tyranids. 


This was my final game of the evening, I went up against little Dan's "bugs".  The Scenario was 5 objectives and pitched battle deployment.  Dan brought a bunch of hormagaunts and termagaunts, a tyranofex, a zoanthrope, some melee bug guy with a 2+ save and a bunch of broodlords with retinue.  I went first and decided right off the bat that I was going to let him come to me rather than my standard method of blitzing to attack. My long range firepower units did an excellent job of whittling down his forces in the first turn.
Turn 1 - Dark Reapers kill most of the Broodlords command squad and Wave Serpents put 2 wounds on the Tyrannofex.
Turn 2 - Reapers slaughter a ton of Hormagaunts while Wave Serpents and D-Cannons wipe out one of his termagaunt units.
Turn 3 - Council gets out of their Serpent and kills his Broodlord with Destructor and pistols while my Reapers finish off one of his termagaunt squads.  D-cannon puts 2 more Wounds on his Tyrannofex.
Turn 4 - his Zoanthrope managed to immobilize a Wave Serpent and he charges the immobilized Wave Serpent and destroys a weapon and makes it unable to shoot.
Turn 5 - I disembark with the rest of the army and flamer/shoot/assault and wipe out the rest of the bugs with only losing my D-Cannon support battery unit.

Eldar win.


Tournament Results - 
1st Place - me.


So after this Tournament which was great (thanks Darron!) I think I may put my Eldar on the shelf for a bit and play around with some of my other armies such as my Black Templars or actually build that Raven Guard list I've been throwing around for a while.  We'll see how things work out!

1 comment: